(LLI – 527)
Project aims to increase the efficiency of pharmaceutical substances pollution management and to increase cooperation between governmental institutions and wastewater treatment plant operators.
- Ministries responsible for environment protection and planning;
- Environmental Quality Control Institutions;
- Local public authority and Planning Regions;
- Higher education and research;
- NGO interested in or working on nature protection;
- Wastewater treatment plant operators;
- General public.
PROJECT DURATION: February 1, 2021 – December 31, 2022
Total projects size is 673 772.88 EUR
Out of them co-funding of European Regional Development Fund is 572 706.92 EUR
- Lead Partner – Latvian Institute of Aquatic Ecology Agency of Daugavpils University, www.lhei.lv, in cooperation with 5 partners from Latvia and Lithuania:
- Kurzeme Planning Region, www.kurzemesregions.lv
- Latvian Environment, Geology and Meteorology Centre, www.videscentrs.lvgmc.lv
- University of Klaipeda, www.ku.lt
- State Agency of Medicines of Latvia, www.zva.gov.lv
- State Medicines Control Agency under the Ministry of Health of Republic of Lithuania, www.vvkt.lt
Project anticipates cooperation between research institutions (Latvian Institute of Aquatic Ecology Agency of Daugavpils University and Klaipeda University) and national public and regional institutions to increase knowledge to shape policy and specific measures dealing with pharmaceuticals in both countries for example tracking of pharmaceutical substances consumption and detection in the environment. The opinion of environmental protection authorities and supporting organizations from both countries will be considered during regular meetings and consultations when elaborating the criteria and developing the list of pharmaceuticals for monitoring in WWTPs and receiving water bodies in Latvia and Lithuania; developing the priority WWTPs list for the future implementation of advanced treatment technologies as well as developing policy recommendations for the removal of pharmaceuticals from WWTPs.
EXPECTED PROJECT RESULTS
Development and implementation of water protection policy/strategy oriented recommendations for the removal of pharmaceuticals from WWTPs concern large group of stakeholders in both countries, starting from the general public to NGOs, municipal authorities, operators of the wastewater treatment facilities, environmental authorities and national decision-makers. Strategical recommendations will be targeted to support future prioritization and development of policy measures for the reduction of pharmaceuticals and other micropollutants in the environment. The implementation of developed recommendations will:
- foster prioritization of adequative measures, such as priority list of WWTPs for future upgrading depending on pharmaceuticals pollution loads and status of receiving water bodies;
- increase the ability of WWTP operators and national decision makers to take justified decisions when investing into suitable advanced treatment technologies in order to reduce the MPs load on receiving water bodies in the future.
PROJECT HOMEPAGE: https://latlit.eu/pharmaceuticals-in-wastewaters-levels-impacts-and-reduction-medwwater/
News in web-page of LIAE:
Interreg programmas Latvija - Lietuva pēdējā projektu konkursa "uzvarētājos" divi LHEI projekti
Apjomīga projekta ietvaros pēta farmaceitisko vielu klātbūtni notekūdeņos.
Kā zāles nonāk dabā? Un kāda ir to ietekme uz dabu?
Zemūdens valstības izpētes piedzīvojums